CrossFit is a crazy intense workout that involves everything from kettlebells to box jumps, to pull-ups to rowing. It has quite the reputation and with that, everyone should give it a go at least once! So here’s 10 things you should know before you attend your first class.
It’s all about the basics
- There are only nine fundamental movements to master. In every class, coaches go back to basics in one way or another. It helps new people make progress on the mechanics of a new movement, while the regulars will receive tips to fine tune their form and results.
Variety is the spice of CrossFit
- Crossfit opens the door to learning new things. You’re exposed to different sports like Olympic lifting and gymnastics, which really appeals to people who want variety in their fitness routine.
You are surrounded by supporters
- Crossfit isn’t traditionally a team sport, but everywhere in the world, the camaraderie in the Crossfit community is essential. Expect class participants to stick around and mingle among each other, expect a lot of cheering and high-fives during workouts to give encouragement too.
Wear comfy clothes and flat sneakers
- Comfortable clothing that isn’t too loose so you can easily move would be perfect. Oversized clothes that cover up your body will make it more difficult for coaches to monitor if your body position and form is incorrect.
Start slow… but don’t be afraid to challenge yourself
- Consistency is the name of the game. It is always better to leave that first workout thinking you could have done more than to leave having completely destroyed yourself. But… don’t hold back too much! You might find that you’re more capable than you thought.
Anyone can do it
- Crossfit is hardcore, so while anyone can do it, it’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. And if it isn’t, keep trying until you find something fun for you.
Injuries are rare, but they do happen
- As long as you’re in good hands and have a good coach, the risk is minimal. A good coach is key in managing your progression and will pay attention to your form to make sure you’re moving properly. Never push past your limit, and always stop or take breaks when you need.
Tired? Keep moving!
- The best thing you can do for your aching muscles is to keep moving! This prevents you from becoming stiff and even more sore.
You’ll be insanely sore the next day
- Take the rest you need, eat protein and get good sleep. Don’t push yourself, get back to it when you can. Know that the first step is always the hardest, and it’ll get easier from here.
It’ll change your body - and your life
- Besides burning fat, boosting your metabolism and building muscle, Crossfit has a way of showing you that you’re stronger than you ever realized - inside and out.