Whenever the weekend rolls in after a long week, all you want to do is have a little time to yourself to unwind, be it alone or with the loved ones. Baking is a fantastic way to ground yourself and relax. There is something about working a dough to get it to a beautiful loaf that is so satisfying. The process of rising, rolling and proofing the dough that just builds up the excitement to the final product.
This recipe for Spelt Apple Morning Buns are great to get the kids involved as well to help out in filling out their lunch box for the coming week. It is the perfect way to start the morning off with a nice cup of coffee or tea. The apples are sweet and tart adding a different dimension to the buns.
For the Spelt Dough
- 1 cup warm room temperature water
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 2 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Muesli Filling
- 200g Immunity Booster Trail Mix
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup Cinnamon Apple Goodness Bowl
For the Egg Wash
- A splash of almond milk
- A pinch of salt
1. To make the dough, pour water into a bowl. Add the flax seeds and allow to soak for 30 minutes.
2. Whisk the yeast into the water and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the dry ingredients into a bowl. Use a spatula to mix the ingredients together into a shaggy dough.
3. Evenly combine until the dough begins to come together.
4. Lightly dust a counter with flour and continue kneading dough for 3-4 minutes.
5. Cover & allow the dough to rest at warm room temperature for 45 minutes or until the dough has almost doubled in size.
6. Press into the dough to flatten it just a bit.
8. Pull dough edges together to close. Work until the egg, honey, and all of the toppings are evenly distributed.
9. Roll dough into a log and cut up into 12 slices. Roll into round balls and let rest on baking tray for 15 minutes.
10. Brush gently with egg or milk wash. Bake at 180C for 15 to 18 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
Try this recipe out for yourself and tag us on Instagram for a chance to be featured!